[Themaintainers] Introduction

Evan Hepler-Smith evan.heplersmith at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 08:17:10 EDT 2015

Dear all,

Greetings! I'm a grad student getting ready to finish up in Princeton's
Program in History of Science.

I'm broadly interested in scientific information systems and the work that
it takes to maintain scientific knowledge. I study things like systematic
nomenclature, data structures, big multivolume reference works, databases,
regulatory inventories, and so on, mostly related to the chemical sciences
in the 19th century through the present day.

I have a lot of good conversations with chemistry librarians about this
stuff. I wonder, would it be worth inviting a couple professional
Maintainers to the workshop (perhaps some are already on the list)?

One "innovator" thing that has irked me lately: Mark Zuckerberg's worldwide
book group reading Kuhn
<http://www.businessinsider.com/mark-zuckerberg-the-structure-of-scientific-revolutions-2015-3>.
Seems like *Structure* is, among other things, the conceptual basis of the
ideology of disruptive innovation. I feel like a quick skim of Kuhn will
leave Zuckerberg book club members patting themselves on the back about how
accurate their worldview is.

I would like (somebody) to write: "You Didn't Build That Paradigm: The
Infrastructure of Scientific Revolutions."

Looking forward to our further conversations and to meeting you all!

Evan

--
Evan Hepler-Smith
evan.heplersmith at gmail.com