[Themaintainers] Introduction: Joy Rankin

Joy Rankin joyful98 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 11:48:51 EDT 2015

Hello all,

I'm a historian of computing and gender, and Lee's blog post on the
Maintainers really resonated with me.  It's something I've been trying to
emphasize in my current project (which focuses on the origins of personal
computing among students and educators using time-sharing systems during
the 1960s and 1970s).  I think a dedicated conference in 2016 would be
great.  I'd love to participate in a conference addressing these themes,
and I have several ideas, including a behind-the-scenes look at the motives
and process for the creation of the flat-panel plasma screen during the
1960s, or the mundane (but invaluable!) work involved in connecting
telephone lines to create a statewide time-sharing network in Minnesota
during the 1970s. (Alas, I won't be able to attend SHOT this year because
of a conflict related to my postdoc.)

Looking forward to hearing more from everyone.

Regards,

Joy
www.joyrankin.com
@JoyMLRankin