[Themaintainers] Rust, Fast Food Labor, and a Maintenance Reading List

Lee Vinsel lee.vinsel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 07:44:50 EDT 2015

Hi,

I'm sure that many people on the list have heard of Jonathan Waldman's new
book, _Rust: The Longest War_, which examines how groups have thought about
and tried to manage corrosion. I attach a recent review of the book from
_The Atlantic_.

Andy Russell just sent me this Medium article, "The Minimum Wage Worker
Strikes Back
<https://medium.com/@sarahkendzior/the-minimum-wage-worker-strikes-back-fa4c36eb306b>,"
on the struggles of fast food workers. It's good, though it's gotten my
morning off to a depressing start.

I'd really be interest to see what academic articles people draw on when
thinking about maintenance. I encourage everyone to check out the draft
essay of Nathan Ensmenger's that he sent out to the list earlier
<http://homes.soic.indiana.edu/nensmeng//posts/2014/09/20/mice/>. It
clearly lays out many of the issues at hand. Andrew Karvonen pointed me to
Stephen Graham's and Nigel Thrift's essay "Out of Order: Understanding
Repair and Maintenance
<https://politicadechatarra.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/ya_graham-s-4_ya.pdf>."
And a few people have mentioned Brian Larkin's article "The Politics and
Poetics of Infrastructure
<http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-anthro-092412-155522>
."

What else are people reading on these themes?

Lee
--
Assistant Professor
Program on Science and Technology Studies