[Themaintainers] book, Maintainers reading group?

Boyce, Angie Marlene aboyce at hsph.harvard.edu
Wed May 20 10:02:32 EDT 2015

I just saw the announcement for a new book that looks relevant for the folks on this list (info below), and that got me thinking that it might be fun to have a Maintainers virtual summer reading group.  Is anyone else interested in that?  (I'm not committed to this book in particular.)

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/7705.html?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=05.20.2015%20(1)

Any highway commuter who has wasted hours stuck in traffic can see the cracks in the United States' transportation system, as can any airline passenger who has been stranded overnight in an airport. Yet while many agree that the need for infrastructure change is urgent, where is the sense of urgency to make these changes happen?

That's one of the questions Harvard Business School Professor of Business Administration Rosabeth Moss Kanter<http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/profile.aspx?facId=6486> asks in her book published today, Move: Putting America's Infrastructure Back in the Lead.<http://books.wwnorton.com/books/Move/>

"Given so many situations and factors that should arouse enormous concern, why is it so hard to secure public support for long-term infrastructure investments and get Congress to vote for them?" Kanter writes. "I think it's a structural issue. Silos, narrow interests, and fragmentation mute outrage. Perhaps we're stuck not only with aging infrastructure but also with obsolete ways of talking about it."