[Themaintainers] Maintainers reading group: Julian Orr, Talking About Machines

Ensmenger, Nathan nensmeng at indiana.edu
Mon Oct 3 17:06:02 EDT 2016

Although there are still a few votes trickling in, it looks as if we have reached a consensus about when to hold the first #Maintainers virtual reading group.  We will meet online at 7pm on Monday, October 10 (which is one week from today).  We will discuss Julian Orr's 1996 classic *Talking About Machines: an Ethnography of a Modern Job* (ILR Press Ithaca, NY, 1996).

My apologies to those of you for whom this is an inconvenient or impossible date/time.  Hopefully this will be the first of many such reading groups.   We may need to organize these regionally, especially for those of you not in the United States.   Since I am located in the Eastern Standard Time zone, this first session was a little biased towards my own schedule...

It looks as if our best option for virtual meeting technology is Adobe Connect.  I considered Google Hangouts, but it cannot handle the number of video participants I anticipate.  Adobe Connect has clients for most operating systems, and you can access it via the web,

The URL for the meeting is https://connect.iu.edu/maintainers/

I will send the details again closer to the day.

In the meantime, read your Julian Orr!

-Nathan

---
Nathan Ensmenger
Associate Professor of Informatics
School of Informatics and Computing
Indiana University, Bloomington
homes.soic.indiana.edu/nensmeng/

Please join me in an Adobe Connect Meeting.

Meeting Name:  Maintainers Reading Group
Invited By: Nathan Ensmenger (nensmeng at indiana.edu)
When:  10/10/2016 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Time Zone:  (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada)