[Themaintainers] Asking advice for a new course on skills

Steven Lubar steven_lubar at brown.edu
Fri Oct 28 13:29:04 EDT 2016

Dear maintainers,

     I'm starting work on a new course for next year, on the politics and
poetics of skill. It's a first-year seminar, with a good bit of hands-on
work, from lock-picking to welding, as well as a good bit of historical
reading.

The syllabus is here.
<https://www.scribd.com/document/329252885/Syllabus-Lubar-Skills-and-Making-Class-DRAFT-OCTOBER-2016>

I'd much appreciate any advice on this. I've never taught a course anything
like this before. Other readings to recommend? Things to leave out? How
much instruction is useful for some of the projects? Anyone who's taught a
course like this I should get in touch with?

Thanks,

Steve