[Themaintainers] Decommissioning Online Infrastructures

Björn Wallsten bjorn.wallsten at liu.se
Fri Feb 17 14:41:00 EST 2017

Running a distinct risk of being too much of a self marketeer here, I think that my disseration “The Urk World” would fit at least the decommisioning/dismantling bits of your request (perhaps not so much the digital infrastructure ones though).

Anyhows, in that piece of work, I investigate “urks”, i.e. infrastructure (parts) that have been left behind after being disconnected. The subsurface realm of cities is literally full of the stuff (we found a fifth of a Swedish city’s infrastructure to be urks in terms of weight), and I investigated it in part using STS- and infrastructure studies-theory, to find out how these missing masses amass, both in terms of practice and the regulatory framings of infrastructure.

I'd be happy to send a printed copy if you think this sounds interesting, there is for example a previous research-section related to your request in the thesis, see page 33 and onwards.

Best,

//Björn

• Wallsten, B. and Krook J. (2016). “Urks and the Urban Subsurface as Geosocial Formation”, Science, Technology, and Human Values<http://sth.sagepub.com/content/41/5/827.full.pdf> 41(5) 827-848.
• Wallsten, B. (2015). “The Urk World - Hibernating Infrastructures and the Quest for Urban Mining” (PhD Thesis<http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-122758>).
Björn WALLSTEN, Post doc researcher.
Department of Thematic Studies – Technology and Social Change
Linköping University
SE-581 83 Linköping
Phone: +46 (0) 1328 5625
Homepage: https://www.tema.liu.se/tema-t/medarbetare/wallsten-bjorn?l=en