[Themaintainers] Imaginary Projects for Making Maintainers: Engineering Education and an Ethics of Care

Joshua Braun jabraun at journ.umass.edu
Fri Jan 27 10:17:58 EST 2017

Hi Lee,

I'm super excited to have found this list! With respect to your
question, the following extended quote from the former CEO of MSNBC.com
might be useful. He's discussing web development/software engineering
for large media organizations and how the teams that develop new
products are actually quite small, but supported by a much larger corpus
of workers whose labor is focused on maintainership, or "ownership" as
he calls it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=62DdCgAAQBAJ&lpg=PA123&dq=this%20program%20is%20brought%20to%20you%20by&pg=PA243#v=onepage&q&f=false

Cheers,
Josh

On 1/26/17 5:07 PM, Melinda Hodkiewicz wrote:

> Dear Lee
>
> I’m racing to get on an airplane but felt I ought to respond now
> briefly and would be happy to extend this later.
>
> 1.      You are correct, engineering undergrad design projects in my
> experience (and I have been a client and mentor for them here at UWA
> in mech, elec and compsci) do not explicitly cover thinking about
> through life support including maintenance.
>

> 2.      The reason for this is that most academic engineering faculty
> do not have formal maintenance training or experience. Maintenance is
> absent or only superficially covered in most engineering curriculum.
>

> 3.      If we tell students to consider maintenance in their project
> without giving them the appropriate training then we could do more
> harm than good. It’s like telling you to clean your teeth but not
> having an understanding of when to do it, why to do it and how to do
> it, where the answers to that are all these questions developed in a
> structured way with a repeatable process.
>

> 4.      I teach maintenance as part of the “risk reliability and
> safety” unit here at UWA. It is a relatively new unit, only 3 years
> old and taught to all engineers regardless of discipline.
>

> 5.      Here is a recent email from a student who got vac work
> recently with Chevron /“This semester I was a student in the unit
> GENG5507 (Risk, Reliability and Safety) that you lectured. I just
> wanted to give you some feedback and thank you for the work you put
> in. I started my vacation work with Chevron on Monday and I’m based in
> their Reliability and Integrity unit for Wheatstone. Everybody in the
> team was really impressed that I had previous exposure to concepts
> such as SIL, RCA, FMEA, failure modes, bathtub curves, white/black
> boxes, RCM matrix, HAZID, Causal trees, etc. Pretty much everything I
> learnt in GENG5507 is what I’m using in practice. It saved them a lot
> of time when they were explaining the scopes I’d be responsible for
> and also made me look great in the first week I started. I’m really
> glad I took the unit this year and it’s by far the most useful unit
> with regards to the vacation work I’m doing. Thanks again for your
> work/.” I put this in because it is full of acronyms that mean nothing
> to the outside world but are integral to an understanding of
> maintenance. Engineering schools struggle to find academics to teach
> these concepts and struggle to make room in an already crowded
> curriculum to put them in.
>

> 6.      As a minimum to include any section on maintenance in a design
> project, students would have to know how to use correctly an RCM tree,
> see attached.
>

> If you and the others would like I can offer a couple of things.
> First, I have some recordings of between 6-10 minutes each that
> explain maintenance theory. They are used in my class as pre-work (the
> class is taught in flipped learning mode to about 350 students). I
> [...]

Josh Braun, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Journalism Studies
Journalism Department
University of Massachusetts Amherst

@josh_braun
Skype: wideaperture
http://wideaperture.net/
new book: http://wideaperture.net/?view=book

"Maybe the only gift is a chance to inquire, to know nothing for certain.  An inheritance of wonder and nothing more."
William Least Heat-Moon