[Themaintainers] Imaginary Projects for Making Maintainers: Engineering Education and an Ethics of Care

Ezra Monasebian ezra.monasebian at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:40:52 EST 2017

Thanks Bernardo. If we expand into other fields, we should note the recent
letter, linked below, that Charles Marohn sent to the President on behalf
of Strong Towns, an organization devoted to a more resilient urban
development model. Marohn notes a 1950s vintage infrastructure development
model predicated on incentivizing new growth rather than maintaining
existing urban and inter-urban networks. Cities were built without
considering that the same subsidies might not be available for upkeep. The
result is a system today where infrastructure costs exceed cash flow and
actual wealth created. Short term growth came with non-performing assets
and massive, unmanageable upkeep costs, and in the choice between
additional subsidized short term growth (with higher financial burdens in
15 years ) and necessary upkeep, cities continue to choose growth. "Cities
with huge maintenance backlogs still prioritize system expansion because
they are chasing the short-term cash benefits of new growth, even at the
expense of their future solvency." Marohn calls for reprioritizing spending
in a number of ways and for a number of policy reforms. I found a lot of
sense in the letter as it relates to the work of the Maintainers.

The letter:
https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2017/1/22/a-letter-to-potus-on-infrastructure

I'm an urban planner in the New York area (and on the New York job market).
I'm happy to discuss this further with anyone interested.

Best,

Ezra Monasebian

(914) 262-1672

On Jan 27, 2017 9:30 AM, "Bernardo Batiz-Lazo" <b.batiz-lazo at bangor.ac.uk>