[Themaintainers] How to Build for the Handoff

Lee Vinsel lee.vinsel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 13:50:09 EDT 2017

Yes, thanks, Camille.

Andy and I gave a talk at a conference of maintenance professionals,
Mainstream <http://www.mainstreamconf.com/>, a few months ago. I learned
from one attendee that handoffs are an extremely difficult and fraught
issue within technical organizations. In heavy industry and the energy
sector, accidents and deaths, including around maintenance, often happen
around shift changes. Companies are working hard to improve the
process—often by using computerized management systems that standardize the
information that is handed from one shift to another—but difficulties
remain.

Lee

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Andrew Russell <arussell at arussell.org>
wrote:

> Thanks Camille - yes, relevant and fascinating.
>
> Apart from the merits of this approach as a good business practice, and
> sound/sane technical practice, the word that came to mind as I was reading
> was *courteous*.  How cool would it be if "courtesy" became a
> coding/business buzzword? (One can dream, right?)
>
> Andy
>
> On Jul 27, 2017, at 11:47 AM, Camille E. Acey <connect at camilleacey.com>
> wrote:
>
> *"Write and review code for maintainability, readability and extensibility
> (versus terseness or cleverness). Code that engineers can’t understand is
> code that engineers can’t build on, and it’s code engineers will want to
> throw out and rewrite. When we’re writing code to hand off, we stay wary of
> anything that is so clever it is opaque, where function and variable names
> aren’t readable, expressive, and clear, where the code structure makes it
> difficult to find what you need. Documentation should accompany most
> changes, and standard code style should be enforced throughout. "*
>
> https://trackchanges.postlight.com/how-to-build-
> for-the-handoff-a2af3421be11
>
> I thought this was a relevant read!
> --
> Camille E. Acey
> http://camilleacey.com
>
> *"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and
> that is an act of political warfare." - *Audre Lorde

Starting Fall 2017—Assistant Professor
Department of Science and Technology in Society
Virginia Tech
leevinsel.com
Twitter: @STS_News