[Themaintainers] Looking for bibliography: repair and material culture

Cowan, Ruth S rcowan at sas.upenn.edu
Thu May 4 09:34:59 EDT 2017

It does occur to me, Steve, that maintenance of textiles is often referred to as “doing laundry,” so you might want to look at Arwen Mohun’s book on laundry workers.

There is also graduate student at Wisconsin doing a dissertation on laundering; I don’t know how far along she is, but she will surely know the journal literature on the subject: Spring Greeney,  sgreeney at wisc.edu<mailto:sgreeney at wisc.edu>.

Ruth Schwartz Cowan. Ph.D.
Janice and Julian Bers Professor, Emerita
History and Sociology of Science, University of Pennsylvania
Author (with Matthew H. Hersch) of A Social History of American Technology, 2nd edition (Oxford University Press, 2017)
https://global.oup.com/ushe/product/a-social-history-of-american-technology-9780195387261?cc=us&lang=en&