[Themaintainers] readings for infrastructure course

Lee Vinsel lee.vinsel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:41:24 EST 2017

Hi Everybody,

This is a great thread. I haven't been able to read every post, but in case
no one mentions it, I wanted to give a nod to this article by Ashley Carse:

Carse, Ashley. "Nature as infrastructure: Making and managing the Panama
Canal watershed." *Social Studies of Science* 42, no. 4 (2012): 539-563.

He has a book on the same topic, but if article-length pieces are what you
are looking for, this is the place to go. I'm looking forward to teaching
it in my Maintainers graduate seminar next semester, paired with David
Biggs' Quagmire.

Best,

Lee

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Irani, Lilly <lirani at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Fernando Dominguez Rubio, "Preserving the unpreservable: docile and unruly
> objects at MoMA”
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11186-014-9233-4
> puts questions of care and maintenance at the center of
> sociological/philosophical concerns about cultural categories, social
> order, and ontology
>
> My own piece looks at how Amazon Mechanical Turk formats some workers as
> distanced “infrastructure” so other workers can program and “innovate” more
> intensively (so labor as environment):
> https://read.dukeupress.edu/south-atlantic-quarterly/
> article-abstract/114/1/225/3763/Difference-and-Dependence-among-Digital-
> Workers?redirectedFrom=fulltext
>

> On Nov 20, 2017, at 6:13 AM, Greene, Ann Norton <angreene at sas.upenn.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Dear Maintainers,
> I am teaching a new course next semester about infrastructures and
> environments, intended as a special topics seminar, so it will be both
> introductory but with upper level students, and focused on research skills
> via several short projects.
> I could really use some recommendations on readings, especially essay
> length.  At the moment I am planning to do historical case studies (the
> course is called “Waters, Roads and Wires)
> and readings so far include Chris Jones’ _Routes of Power_ and Julie
> Cohn’s _The Grid_.  I have some railroad, energy and mass transit people in
> Philadelphia to draw on as outside speakers.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ann
>
> Ann N. Greene
> Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies & Assistant Professor (Adj.)
> Dept of History and Sociology of Science
> University of Pennsylvania
>
> Office Hours Fall 2017
> M 1-3 TW 10-11, TWR 2-4
>
> Author, _Horses at Work: Harnessing Power in Industrial America_
> (Harvard, 2008)

Assistant Professor
Department of Science and Technology in Society
Virginia Tech
leevinsel.com
Twitter: @STS_News