[Themaintainers] readings for infrastructure course

Karsten Marhold kmarhold at ulb.ac.be
Mon Nov 20 19:32:08 EST 2017

Dear Ann,

>From a European perspective, may I suggest the following article:

Erik van der Vleuten et al., “Europe’s System Builders: The Contested
Shaping of Transnational Road, Electricity and Rail Networks,” *Contemporary
European History* 16, no. 3 (August 2007): 321–47,
http://www.jstor.org/stable/20081365.

For book-length discussions of the above, there's "Electrifying Europe" by
Vincent Lagendijk and "Driving Europe" by Frank Schipper (both co-authors
of the article), as well as the outputs of the "Tensions of Europe" network
(https://www.tensionsofeurope.eu).

Cheers,
Karsten

Jérôme Denis <jerome.denis at mines-paristech.fr> schrieb am Mo., 20. Nov.
2017 um 21:54 Uhr:

> Great thread indeed!
>
> On the articles side, I would also highly recommend these four papers,
> each of them providing meticulous depictions of fascinating cases, great
> for students :
>
> Barnes, J. E. (2017). States of maintenance: Power, politics, and Egypts
> irrigation infrastructure. *Environment and Planning D: Society and Space*, 35(1),
> 146-164.
> Edensor, T. (2011). Entangled agencies, material networks and repair in a
> building assemblage: The mutable stone of St Ann’s church, Manchester. *Transactions
> of the Institute of British Geographers*, 36(2), 238-252.
> Gregson, N. (2011). Performativity, corporeality and the politics of ship
> disposal. *Journal of Cultural Economy*, 4(2), 137-156.
> Rosner, D. K., & Ames, M. (2014). Designing for repair?: Infrastructures
> and materialities of breakdown. In *Proceedings of the 17th ACM
> conference on computer supported cooperative work & social computing* (pp.
> 319-331).
>
> J.
>
> Le 20 nov. 2017 à 21:41, Lee Vinsel <lee.vinsel at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Hi Everybody,
>
> This is a great thread. I haven't been able to read every post, but in
> case no one mentions it, I wanted to give a nod to this article by Ashley
> Carse:
>
> Carse, Ashley. "Nature as infrastructure: Making and managing the Panama
> Canal watershed." *Social Studies of Science* 42, no. 4 (2012): 539-563.
>
> He has a book on the same topic, but if article-length pieces are what you
> are looking for, this is the place to go. I'm looking forward to teaching
> it in my Maintainers graduate seminar next semester, paired with David
> Biggs' Quagmire.
>
> Best,
>
> Lee
>
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Irani, Lilly <lirani at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>> Fernando Dominguez Rubio, "Preserving the unpreservable: docile and
>> unruly objects at MoMA”
>> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11186-014-9233-4
>> puts questions of care and maintenance at the center of
>> sociological/philosophical concerns about cultural categories, social
>> order, and ontology
>>
>> My own piece looks at how Amazon Mechanical Turk formats some workers as
>> distanced “infrastructure” so other workers can program and “innovate” more
>> intensively (so labor as environment):
>>
>> https://read.dukeupress.edu/south-atlantic-quarterly/article-abstract/114/1/225/3763/Difference-and-Dependence-among-Digital-Workers?redirectedFrom=fulltext
>>

>> On Nov 20, 2017, at 6:13 AM, Greene, Ann Norton <angreene at sas.upenn.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Maintainers,
>> I am teaching a new course next semester about infrastructures and
>> environments, intended as a special topics seminar, so it will be both
>> introductory but with upper level students, and focused on research skills
> [...]
Karsten Marhold
Aspirant F.R.S.-FNRS
Université Libre de Bruxelles, Faculté de Philosophie et Sciences Sociales
Tel.: +32 491 48 65 84
kmarhold at ulb.ac.be
http://mmc.ulb.ac.be