[Themaintainers] Maintainers events at SHOT in Philadelphia (Oct 26-29)

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Tue Oct 17 21:19:49 EDT 2017

Hello Maintainers!

With the annual meeting of the Society for the History of Technology (SHOT) coming up, we thought we would highlight some events and happenings there.  Details and the full program are available from https://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual-meeting/2017-shot-annual-meeting-26-29-october-philadelphia/ <https://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual-meeting/2017-shot-annual-meeting-26-29-october-philadelphia/>.

MAINTAINERS HAPPY HOUR
When: Saturday, October 29, 5:30 pm
Where: National Mechanics Bar and Restaurant <http://nationalmechanics.com/>
Who: Expertly organized by Nicole Welk-Joerger (an inspired selection for the location), with the first round sponsored through the generosity of the Linda Hall Library <http://www.lindahall.org/>.

MAINTENANCE SESSIONS @ SHOT
Friday (both sessions at the same time, alas)
F5: Maintaining Natures.  Organized by Alice Clifton and Nicole Welk-Joerger, with papers on Saharan roads, American pigeons, Polish marshes, and Calorimeters
F7: Infrastructures of Maintenance: Animals, Regulations, and Expertise. Organized by Benjamin Wollet, with papers on African urban geography, Argentinian irrigation, environmental regulation, and US-Mexico trade

Saturday
S 22: Maintaining Natures II.  Organized by Alice Clifton and Nicole Welk-Joerger, with papers on horses, tractors, solar power, and Carribean reef ecosystems.

There are several more papers on infrastructure, standards, labor, and other topics that are right in the wheelhouse of this group.
And, several members of this group are presenting papers or commenting on sessions. If that’s you, don’t be shy - please send a message to the list & spread the word.

Needless to say, if there are other conferences (etc) coming up that we should know about, please send a note to the list too.  In the meantime - we hope to see you in Philly!

Andy & Lee