[Themaintainers] One Laptop Per Child's $100 Laptop Was Going To Change The World — Then It All Went Wrong

Lee Vinsel lee.vinsel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 12:18:42 EDT 2018

Thanks, Camille. This is really interesting.

I was just looking into OPLC nostalgically a few weeks ago and thinking
about it as a clear example solutionism.

These lines stood out to me from Wikipedia:

"The organization has been accused of simply giving underprivileged
children laptops and 'walking away.' Some critics claim this 'drive-by'
implementation model was the official strategy of the project. While the
organisation has learning teams dedicated to support and working with
teachers, Negroponte has said in response to this criticism that 'You
actually can' give children a connected laptop and walk away, noting
experiences with self-guided learning.[30]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Laptop_per_Child#cite_note-good.is-30>"

Interesting to learn that maintenance was at least part of the project's
model, though.

Thanks for sharing.

Lee

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 3:05 PM, Camille E. Acey <connect at camilleacey.com>
wrote:

> "OLPC wasn’t just a laptop, it was a philosophy. Negroponte insisted that
> kids needed to personally own the computers, so they’d be invested in
> maintaining them....The laptop wasn’t just tough, it was so tough you could
> throw it across a room — a feature he’d happily demonstrate in interviews."
>
> https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/16/17233946/olpcs-100-
> laptop-education-where-is-it-now
> --
> Camille E. Acey
> http://camilleacey.com
>
> *"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and
> that is an act of political warfare." - *Audre Lorde

Assistant Professor
Department of Science and Technology in Society
Virginia Tech
leevinsel.com
Twitter: @STS_News