[Themaintainers] Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Support for The Maintainers

Andrea Goulet andrea at corgibytes.com
Mon Dec 3 16:33:07 EST 2018

Congrats! This is wonderful news. Let us know if there's anything we can do at
Corgibytes to support your efforts. We're focused in the software maintenance
and modernization space. :)

To your success,

Andrea Goulet
Co-Founder & CEO
Corgibytes, LLC
804.596.2375 x700
[andrea at corgibytes.com](mailto:andrea at corgibytes.com)
[http://corgibytes.com](http://corgibytes.com/)

Have you read my [First Round Review](http://firstround.com/review/forget-
technical-debt-heres-how-to-build-technical-wealth/) article about paying off
technical debt?

I was named one of [LinkedIn's Top 10 Software Professionals under
35](https://lists.linkedin.com/2016/next-wave-top-professionals-35-and-
under-20161011/software). How cool is that?!

Love refactoring and TDD? Join us at
[LegacyCode.Rocks](http://legacycode.rocks/) for masterminds, podcasts, and
more.

Mon, Dec 3, 2018 10:27 AM, Camille E. Acey <connect at camilleacey.com> wrote:

> Bravo. This is excellent news to start the day and workweek!
>

> On December 3, 2018 9:39:36 AM EST, Lee Vinsel <lee.vinsel at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi, everyone.

>> Andy Russell and I are pleased to announce that the Alfred P. Sloan
Foundation will be supporting some activities of The Maintainers. With funding
from the Sloan Foundation, we plan to build our capacity to create and nurture
communities that connect scholarly research and practical applications. We’re
thrilled to be partnering with the Educopia Institute, a non-profit
organization focused on "building communities, connecting likeminded people,
and using collective action to advance institutions of all kinds." Educopia
will provide some staff support and its considerable expertise in community
cultivation to help us further grow The Maintainers network.

>> Our primary focus will be something we call the Maintenance Community
Framework, through which we'll study the state of maintenance in individual
sectors and professions, and document and disseminate best practices and
lessons learned. The first two maintenance communities we'll focus on are
InfoMaintainers - people working in libraries and digital preservation - and
Maintainers in the Workforce, a group of experts on the law and policy of
labor and poverty. We plan to identify and seed some other maintenance
communities this year, including ones on transportation and water
infrastructure, engineering, and philanthropy. We'll also be seeking
additional funding sources that can sustain this effort for several years. And
we’re now starting the planning process for Maintainers III, a conference that
will take place in the fall of 2019. We’ll be sending out announcements soon
to detail different ways that individuals or organizations can get involved –
so stay tuned, and drop us a line in the meantime if you have any ideas or
questions!

>> Most of all we are happy that the Sloan Foundation has given a vote of
confidence in The Maintainers, and we are grateful for all of your support.