[Themaintainers] CFP: Theorizing the Web 2019

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Wed Dec 26 14:57:40 EST 2018

Hi everyone - Please see below for the CFP from our friends at Theorizing the Web.  Note the submission deadline is rapidly approaching: January 20, 2019.  I’m sure there is plenty of room for proposals that take up notions of maintenance, repair, etc.

Andy

CALL FOR PAPERS
Theorizing the Web 2019
April 12–13 in New York City
At the Museum of the Moving Image, in Astoria, Queens
The submission deadline is Sunday, January 20, 2019 (11:59 p.m. EST)

Theorizing the Web is an event held annually since 2011 for critical, conceptual conversations about technology and society. We believe social theory has a larger role to play in our conversations about technology. While there are plenty of individual arguments, datasets, and policy proposals out there, what often gets overlooked are the larger frameworks, histories, and literatures.

We support theorizing by academics and non-academics and value clear and compelling arguments that avoid jargon. It doesn’t matter if you see yourself as a “tech” thinker (it might even help if you don’t). Activists, journalists, technologists, writers, artists, and people who don’t identify as any of those are all encouraged to submit. We especially invite submissions that engage with issues of social justice, power, inequality, and vulnerability from a diverse range of perspectives.

Here are some photos and videos from last year’s event if you want to see the vibe of it all.
Photos:  <https://theorizingtheweb.org/ny/ttw18/photos/> <>https://theorizingtheweb.org/ny/ttw18/photos/ <https://theorizingtheweb.org/ny/ttw18/photos/>
Videos:  <https://theorizingtheweb.org/ny/ttw18/live-stream/> <>https://theorizingtheweb.org/ny/ttw18/live-stream/ <https://theorizingtheweb.org/ny/ttw18/live-stream/>

Submissions on any topic are welcome because every topic intersects with technology. Some general topical suggestions include the relationship between technology and identity, privacy, sexuality, gender, intimacy, the body, power, politics, surveillance, racism, sexism, ableism, class, harassment, space, chaos, design, discourse, knowledge, images, memes, attention, work, fiction, gaming, globalization, capitalism, and protest.

Submissions should be 300 to 500 words (only the first 500 words will be reviewed). The TtW Selection Committee will blindly review submissions and make decisions in early to mid February. Space is limited, and our acceptance rate is typically 20-35%. Protip: The most common reasons we reject otherwise compelling abstracts is (1) spending too much time setting up the topic and not what novel argument you want to make about it, and (2) just stating what you plan on arguing in the talk without actually making the argument in the abstract. The presentations themselves will be 12-minute talks organized into themed panel sessions. You will be speaking to a general audience who may not share your area of expertise.

The Submission Form is here:  <https://theorizingtheweb.org/cfp> <>https://theorizingtheweb.org/cfp <https://theorizingtheweb.org/cfp>

Before submitting, please read our FAQ section on submissions and presentations:  <https://theorizingtheweb.org/about/#submissions_and_presentations> <>https://theorizingtheweb.org/about/#submissions_and_presentations <https://theorizingtheweb.org/about/#submissions_and_presentations>

Registration for Theorizing the Web remains pay-what-you-can, and we ask that you donate whatever amount you deem fair or can afford (minimum $1). Please register here:  <https://theorizingtheweb.org/register> <>https://theorizingtheweb.org/register <https://theorizingtheweb.org/register>

Stay tuned here and our Twitter and Facebook for announcements about invited panels, and email us at  <mailto:theorizingtheweb at gmail.com> <>theorizingtheweb at gmail.com <mailto:theorizingtheweb at gmail.com> if you would like to help out with our all-volunteer event in any way. The conference hashtag is #TtW19.