[Themaintainers] CFP: Links between Maintenance and Sustainability

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Tue Jul 10 12:49:24 EDT 2018

Dear Maintainers -

I’m writing to pass along an exciting opportunity from Fiix, which is looking to support research on maintenance and sustainability.  Please see below for details; there’s also a pdf attached with the same content.  Please feel free to share this announcement.  Katie Allen at Fiix is the best point of contact for questions - <katie.allen at fiixsoftware.com>.

All the best,

Andy

Call for Proposals

About Fiix

Fiix Inc. creates easy-to-use, intelligent maintenance management software that empowers businesses to organize their maintenance departments and turn data into actionable insights. Our innovative multi-tenant cloud-based CMMS mobilizes the maintenance workforce with an unparalleled mobile experience and seamlessly interfaces with enterprise software to connect entire organizations—revolutionizing how thousands of companies worldwide schedule, organize, and track maintenance.

Call for proposals: Proving the link between maintenance and sustainability

At Fiix, our mission is to make every maintenance team successful by enabling the adoption of a computerized maintenance management system. But why do we do this? Because ultimately, our higher purpose is to create a more sustainable world.

We believe that properly maintaining assets will reduce waste, reduce energy consumption, reduce water consumption, reduce emissions, and reduce reliance on finite resources. We want to show that maintenance at its very core is sustainability and looking after infrastructure and equipment sustains its lifespan and reduces its impact on the environment. Though our experience teaches us that this is true, there has been very little research done to prove the impact of good maintenance on environmental sustainability. That’s why we are looking for a university partner to dive deep into the world of maintenance and show just how critical it is to creating a more sustainable world.

Project details

- Funding: $25,000 CAD ($18,800 USD) available to fund this project

- Research start date: ASAP

- Purpose: This funding will be used to address the two topics outlined below. Findings will be used as supporting documentation for Fiix’s claim that maintenance and sustainability are intrinsically linked, and will be published on the Fiix website. Partners also will be free to publish findings in peer-reviewed scholarly literature.

- Past partnerships: In 2016 and 2017, we successfully funded two projects with Ryerson University, supporting the work of a PhD student

What are we interested in exactly?

Maintenance and sustainability

We want to understand the relationship between good maintenance and the environment. There is an increasing pressure to reduce carbon emissions from our atmosphere, and, to this end we are interested in studies that examine the impact of good maintenance practices on energy consumption, waste production, water use, and reliance on finite resources. In addition to this, we’re also interested in better data that shows connections between maintenance, sustainability, and positive economic returns.

Circular economy

We are also looking at how maintenance plays a role in the circular economy. A large emphasis has been placed on new design, recycling, reuse, and renewable energy—key components of the circular economy—but we are interested in assessing the role that maintenance can play alongside these other aspects of the sustainable circular economy.

If you are interested, or want to learn more, please email Katie Allen at katie.allen at fiixsoftware.com. For more information on how Fiix is contributing to a more sustainable world visit www.fiixsoftware.com/csr.