[Themaintainers] “You Sea Wall Won’t Save You” whose imaginaries shape “climate change resilience”

Camille E. Acey connect at camilleacey.com
Sun Jun 3 22:12:57 EDT 2018

Thanks SO MUCH for sharing this, Ruth.
We worked on an early phase of the Grontmij/World Bank Indonesia project at my old company as well as some joint projects funded through the Australian government (one had the sorta silly name "Risk In A Box" - https://github.com/AIFDR/riab/).
While there were a lot of cool, community-driven, open-source, urban mapping initiatives that grew out of these engagements I always got the feeling that they were stifled by the Bank's narrow idea of what was/wasn't"the right thing to do, which was inevitably always determined by some white Dutch dudes. So I agree with the writer's conclusion that there must be alternative visions of resilience. I've even grown sick of the word as it has really been taken up by primarily neoliberal statist/bureaucrat types (and their nonprofit junior partners) more than anything.
Camille
Camille E. Acey
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare." - Audre Lorde
-------- Original message --------From: Ruth Kitchin Tillman <ruthtillman at gmail.com> Date: 6/3/18  6:30 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: themaintainers at lists.stevens.edu Subject: [Themaintainers] “You Sea Wall Won’t Save You” whose imaginaries shape “climate change resilience”
People on this list may be the audience for the following from Places Journal on 4 Southeast Asian cities and the effect attempts to mitigate regular flooding, effects of development in delta regions, and climate change are causing massive evictions and home demolitions for or drowning those already the most vulnerable. https://placesjournal.org/article/your-sea-wall-wont-save-you/