[Themaintainers] Why Do People Neglect Maintenance?

Julien Kirch archiloque at archiloque.net
Wed Aug 7 11:21:48 EDT 2019

Hello,

From the maintenance point of view (and excluding the question of the quality of the system itself) COBOL is often a not so bad choice since it will still probably be available for a long time, several large vendors exists and compatibility is important for the community.

You need to have money for the licenses, and to manage the risk of loosing knowledge of the system you build, but the technology is not a risk by itself.

The situation is much worse for other tools from the same period, like RPG (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_RPG), Pacbase (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacbase), or custom C implementations : in these cases the technology is not maintained any more or is on low maintenance mode and tomorrow the sole vendor can decide to stop investing in it.

Which means one day you can hit a bug and you can’t do anything: the system rely on a black box you don’t control and there’s nobody any more you can call to solve it.

I don’t know if it’s something that happens outside of IT, or at least on this scale.

Julien