[Themaintainers] Liberalism, Coherence and peer production

jan dittrich.c.jan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 10:16:11 EDT 2019

Hello James,
Hello List,

 > You might find these three pieces useful.…
 > The general argument is that the (shared) artifact
 > itself does much of what has traditionally been done by coordination
 > mechanisms, including top-down direction.

Thanks!
Yes, they were very interesting. The idea of the shared artifacts as
means for coordination comes up similarly (and problematicized) in "The
Limits of self-organization"[1] arguing that the code (seen as original
'open source'-medium) has helpful qualities that other content does not
have (e.g. technological "checks" like: compiles or not), and that the
modularization suggested by the shared technology (e.g. a Wiki suggests
single pages for articles) will might ease internal coherence of the
parts but not necessarily among each other (One article might use very
different conventions than the other)

A work that came into my mind this morning which discusses larger
changes that need new standards and frames is Bowkers "Lest we Remember" [2]

So with this and the research on the coordination by the technological
artifact, it might be interesting how forgetting and reinterpretation
works if much coherence is implicity achieved by the shared artifact,
which in turn would need to be reinterpreted.

It would probably be also worth looking specifically into histories of
standards and organizational forgetting to see how changes against the
"status quo" were legitimized and actors mobilized.

Jan

[1] https://firstmonday.org/article/view/1405/1323
[2] Bowker, Geoffrey C. 1997. “Lest We Remember: Organizational
Forgetting and the Production of Knowledge.” Accounting, Management and
Information Technologies 7 (3): 113–38.
https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8022(97)90001-1.