[Themaintainers] Call for papers - Maintenance and its knowledges [EASST/4S Conference]

Jérôme Denis jerome.denis at mines-paristech.fr
Tue Dec 17 04:05:23 EST 2019

Dear all,

Together with Fernando Domínguez Rubio, and David Pontille, we will be organizing our fourth panel on maintenance at the EASST/4S conference (in Prague, August 18th to 21st 2020). This time we will be joined by Daniel Florentin, a geographer at Institut Supérieur d’Ingénierie et de Gestion de l’Environnement from Mines ParisTech.

The panel will be dedicated to maintenance and its knowledges.

If the topic is of interest to you, we warmly invite you to send us a proposal.
The abstracts (250 words max) should be submitted directly on the submission platform <https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/ssss/prague20/> before February 29th.  “Submit a new proposal” > “Papers of an open panel” > “Panel 101 - Maintenance and its knowledges”.

[Open Panel #101] Maintenance and its knowledges

Convenors
Jérôme Denis, Center for the Sociology of Innovation, MINES ParisTech — Fernando Dominguez, UC San Diego — Daniel Florentin, Mines ParisTech — David Pontille, Center for the Sociology of Innovation, CNRS

Abstract
In recent years, a series of maintenance studies have uncovered a world of sociotechnical practices that had remained unexplored by traditional STS such as research around innovation, breakdowns or disasters. Mostly repetitive and unheroic, these practices are dedicated to making things last rather than creating novelty or simply putting damaged objects ‘back in order’. In these approaches, maintenance has been described in terms of an ethics of care, in which material entanglements, thoughtful improvisations and embodied adjustments are essential features.

This panel aims at complementing these investigations by focusing on the different forms of knowledge—e.g. theories, standards, ‘best practices’, oral stories, tacit skills—, that emerge for, around, and as maintenance. These knowledges are plural and sometimes antagonistic in how they shape the means and rules to take care of objects, and how they define the ‘whatness’ of the things that are maintained. We would like to explore and analyze their relationships, and understand the conditions of their articulation, separation, or confrontation.

Beyond a generic use of the notion of ‘knowledge’, submissions are invited to pay particular attention to the specific forms of knowledge that emerge at various empirical settings. Furthermore, if different forms of knowledge may work as resources or constraints during interventions, maintenance situations can also be investigated as sites and moments of knowledge generation. We expect that documenting and understanding the dynamics of these processes will be central to some of the proposals.

Contact: jerome.denis at mines-paristech.fr <mailto:jerome.denis at mines-paristech.fr>

All the best,

Jérôme, Fernando, Daniel and David