[Themaintainers] EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION: Maintainers III: Practice, Policy, and Care

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Mon Jun 24 12:15:36 EDT 2019

Hellooooooo Maintainers list!  I’m really excited to share the news that early bird registration for Maintainers III is NOW OPEN!!  Please take a look at the message below, share with your friends/networks, and register to join us in DC!

All the best,

Andy

Maintainers III: Practice, Policy, and Care
Washington, D.C., United States, October 6-9, 2019
Webpage: http://themaintainers.org/miii <http://themaintainers.org/miii>
Twitter: @The_Maintainers

Dear colleagues,

It is my sincere pleasure to announce two esteemed keynotes and the opening of early bird registration for Maintainers III: Practice, Policy, and Care (MIII) <http://themaintainers.org/miii> -- the third in a series of conferences that celebrates and unpacks the concepts of maintenance, infrastructure, repair, and the myriad forms of labor and expertise that sustain our human-built world. MIII will be held in Washington, D.C. from October 6-9, 2019 at the Kellogg Conference Hotel (Gallaudet University).

We have the honor of welcoming Deb Chachra and Melissa Gregg <http://themaintainers.org/miii-program> as MIII keynotes. Dr. Chachra is a materials scientist and educator of the next generation of engineers. Dr. Gregg is a social scientist, using ethnography to better understand the future of work. Both Dr. Chachra and Dr. Gregg will share more about their work, provoke us to think critically about our own maintenance practices and engage across disciplinary and professional boundaries.

We are also thrilled to introduce Bernardo Hidalgo and Koen, architects and creators of MAMA. Bernardo and Koen will document MIII through illustration - inspired by the topics raised by submitted proposals as well as discussions that take place during the conference.

To learn more about our keynotes and illustrated documentation, visit: http://themaintainers.org/miii-program <http://themaintainers.org/miii-program>
To register for MIII, visit: http://themaintainers.org/miii-register <http://themaintainers.org/miii-register>
Goals of Maintainers III:
Bring together practitioners, policy-makers, researchers, and activists who have deep engagements with maintenance
Develop and sustain communities of practice in specialized areas
Contribute to a broad public movement around the importance of maintenance and maintainers in modern life

Distinct from Maintainers I <http://themaintainers.org/program/> and Maintainers II <http://themaintainers.org/maintainers-ii-program/>, MIII will feature 4 maintenance tracks including Information Maintenance, Transportation Maintenance, Software and Open Source Maintenance and General Maintenance. Visit the Maintainers III About <http://themaintainers.org/miii> webpage to read more about the focus of each track.

Key Dates:
20 March 2019 — Save the Date and Call for Proposals announced
13 May 2019 — Deadline for all proposal submissions
24 June 2019 — Proposal acceptance notifications sent
24 June 2019 — Early bird registration opens
02 August 2019 — Early bird registration closes
03 August 2019 - Regular registration opens
6-9th October 2019 — Maintainers III: Practice, Policy, and Care

The MIII Planning Committee will continue to update the website with resources - for now, check out our Attendee Resources  <http://themaintainers.org/miii-attendee-resources>page for more information on MIII’s Code of Conduct and Accessibility FAQ. We sincerely hope you will join us in October 2019 and help  shape the discussion of Practice, Policy, and Care!

MIII Planning Committee:
Hillel Arnold
Juliana Castro
Tabitha Decker
Don Goodman-Wilson
Shannon Mattern
Mehdi Medjaoui
Jessica Meyerson
Andy Russell
Raquel Velho
Lee Vinsel
Carole Voulgaris
Chela Scott Weber

Questions?
Contact Andy Russell (andy at themaintainers.org <mailto:andy at themaintainers.org>), Lee Vinsel (lee at themaintainers.org <mailto:lee at themaintainers.org>), or Jessica Meyerson (jmeyerson at themaintainers.org <mailto:jmeyerson at themaintainers.org>).