[Themaintainers] Request for Data for FTC's Nixing the Fix: A Workshop on Repair Restrictions

lee vinsel lee at themaintainers.org
Tue Mar 26 10:23:13 EDT 2019

Hey, folks!

I didn't want to make my initial email too long, but here's a research
project I've been thinking about: it seems that one important historical
question is about the rise and fall of local repair stores. The Ngram
pasted below suggests what you'd expect: that we see waves of repair around
new technologies, and then for a variety of reasons - including prices no
doubt - repairs recede. (Note: this is likely highly US/Euro centric -
David Edgerton, Lara Houston, Phil Scranton, Fabian Prieto-Nanez have found
very different trends in other places.) I believe that we do not have a
good historical picture of these trends yet, however. One thought I've had
is to use city directories to track #'s of repair shops. My first thought
was to use the collection at the Library of Congress, but some friends have
said this might be able to be done online (I can't remember - maybe it was
using ancestry.com).

I'd be happy to hear thoughts about this idea. But I'd also love to hear
about potential research projects others can dream up. Highly speculative
is fine!

Lee

[image: Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 10.15.45 AM.png]

--
Co-Founder
The Maintainers