[Themaintainers] Fwd: Seth's Blog : Maintainers

Mike Roy roymichaeldonald at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 20:00:37 EST 2019

Hi Fellow Maintainers,

I'm not sure if many of you follow the blogging of Seth Godin. He is a
marketing/internet kind of guy who writes about the new economy and how to
get ahead in it. When I read his writings, I often think of what Kant had
to say about Hume: "He awakened me from my dogmatic slumbers." I disagree
with nearly everything Godin has to say, but I find it helpful to confront
these ideas on a regular basis, and to grapple with exactly why it is that
I find his suggestions so toxic.

With that as preamble, below is his latest posting, where he encourages us
to be disruptors, not maintainers.

My response to this:

Dear Seth, I got your blog post. It arrived in my inbox just like it does
every day. How did it make it there? Via the work of maintainers. The folks
who keep the operating system on your computer working. The folks at your
ISP who keep the internet running. The folks running the servers where you
store your blog posts.Ditto for the system you use to send out these email
blasts. And of course the same is true as your thoughts made their way to
me via my ISP and onto my phone. All of this incredible infrastructure only
works because people show up day in and day out and keep it working. The
folks doing this work probably aren't "dancing with infinity" on a daily
basis, but I assure you that the binary you've set up between maintainers
and disruptors is WAY more complicated than your post suggests. Check out
http://themaintainers.org/ to learn more.

Mike