[Themaintainers] Open Source Software: What makes maintenance something people do ?

Christopher M. Kelty ckelty at ucla.edu
Tue Aug 25 10:55:59 EDT 2020

Much of the early initial work on Free Software, from c. 1990-2010
was about motivation;  it was dominated by the law and economics
approach on the one hand (Benkler's 'Coase's Penguin' article was
the go-to read), and by various sui generis studies like Rishab
Ghosh's Cooking Pot Markets... for many people it was a serious
puzzle why anyone would do anything *without being paid* (!?)  The
answer often turned out to be a version of what Bastien said here:
to give back to the community. A few people turned to the
literature on gift exchange in anthropology, which is, at least in
Mauss, a very concise theory of reciprocity as the basis of a
social bond, but I don't think that ever made much of a dent in
the work of those who followed in studying the processes of
maintaining free software (also, it's probably too high level for
most basic concerns, but ought to be an important way to think
about what maintenance is for in a general sense).

In any case, I think the original question here might be better
formulated not just as "what motivates people to maintain a
project" but maybe a version of "what are the limits on how long
one can keep 'giving back to the community' before it fails as a
motivation?"  Also, given all the other focus on how FLOSS
communities in particular are not doing such a good job of
'giving' equally to everyone in the first place, there is an
opportunity to re-pose this old motivation question in very
different terms than it was 20 years ago... (thinking here about
ethical source licences esp.)

ck