[Themaintainers] Amsterdam's canal crisis

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Thu Aug 27 10:23:56 EDT 2020

I thought you all might be interested in this story that connects the maintenance of canals to long-term perspectives (both looking back and looking forward).  I know we have at east one or two people on the list who are locals in Amsterdam - I’d be curious to hear their reactions…

http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/amsterdam-collapsing/index.html
Amsterdam has been collapsing for years. Now it's paying the price

Cracks and sinkholes are appearing alongside the waterways of Amsterdam.
Bicycles are tumbling into the swirling water as the canalsides vanish beneath their wheels.
Quay walls are collapsing against houseboats. Bridges are in trouble.
While the recent Covid-19 restrictions have relieved the Dutch capital from the more superficial blight of overtourism, it seems the city has a more pressing existential crisis.
It's in danger of crumbling into the water it's built upon. And only a makeover of enormous proportions can save it.
Fortunately, no one has been hurt yet, but unless it can work out how to carry out the millions of dollars' worth of delicate repairs needed, some of the beautiful medieval infrastructure that makes Amsterdam such a popular destination could be lost.
Amsterdam's day of reckoning shouldn't really have come as a surprise.
The city's children grow up with a verse: "Amsterdam, die grote stad / Die is gebouwd op palen / Als die stad eens ommeviel / Wie zou dat dan betalen?
Loosely translated: "Amsterdam, big city / It is built on piles / If the city would collapse / Who would pay for that?"
The city is now collapsing -- and the Dutch are paying.

[snip]

http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/amsterdam-collapsing/index.html

Andy

— — — — — — — — — — —