[Themaintainers] Looking for Reverse Engineering for Maintenance examples

Melle Zijlstra info at mellezijlstra.com
Fri Aug 28 12:05:52 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Hope all are well, wherever you are. I'm co-teaching a third year
Mechanical Engineering/ Integrated Design Engineering course on Reverse
Engineering at the University of Bath in the UK. The course is largely
innovation-oriented ("what can we learn from taking existing/
competitors' products apart when developing future products?"). This
year we want to slot in a lecture on Reverse Engineering for Maintenance
and Future-proofing (working title) as well. I'll talk about different
steps in the systematic analysis of existing products and systems, and
tools and techniques that can be used in the process.

We're teaching the course online this year unfortunately, so we're
trying to keep the lectures short. To make sure our students have enough
material to work with, we're compiling a list of interesting literature
and YouTube/ Vimeo videos that students can read and watch in their own
time.

I have two questions:
- I read somewhere, it may well have been on this list, that 70% of all
engineers work in maintenance-related jobs. Before I quote this figure
to my students without any evidence, does anyone happen to have a source?
- Can you point me towards interesting examples and literature related
to Reverse Engineering for Maintenance and Futureproofing that I could
use? I'm interested in both 1-off examples (e.g., a machine with
obsolete bearings that needs to be modified so contemporary equivalents
can be used) and remanufacturing/ industrial scale examples. I'm
particularly interested in medical device design examples, a domain I
know preciously little about. Ventilators have been a bit of a hot topic
lately, perhaps someone has examples of how older machines have been
modernised (e.g. with better monitoring functionalities) recently?

I'm of course happy to share the lecture slides or video (not sure on
the format yet) with others who may be teaching similar courses.

Many thanks and have a great weekend,
Melle

--

melle zijlstra         university of bath
                        phd researcher | department of computer science

bath                   uk
dublin                 ireland

(uk)                   +447495905169
(m.zijlstra@)bath.ac.uk  <http://bath.ac.uk>