[Themaintainers] Encouraging repair over waste

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 16:36:51 EST 2020

A podcast episode on the Australian national media network. I enjoyed
it. Has a very Aussie slant - I believe I heard the phrase "farmer's
can't be arsed" or something similar. In this context "can't be
bothered" is the translation. Lots on the rural and farmers:

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/encouraging-repair-over-waste/11924272

Managing waste starts with avoiding waste by repairing products. But
often manufacturers’ ‘Technological Protection Measures’ prevent
repair.

How can we encourage repair rather than simply the throwing out broken
objects and devices?

Can we talk about: A ‘Right to Repair’ in Australia? presented by the
UTS Design School. October 2, 2019.

Speakers

John Gertsakis – Director and co-founder e-waste watch

Associate Professor Leanne Wiseman – Australian Centre of Intellectual
Property in Agriculture (ACIPA), Griffith Law School

Dr  Guy Keulemans – designer and lecturer, University of NSW

Annette Mayne - Business Development Manager iPulse Phone Repair;
communications adviser Zero Waste Network Australia

Chair: Dr Jesse Adams Stein - Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research
Fellow, School of Design, UTS

Chair: Guido Verbist - General Manager at The Bower Reuse & Repair Centre

--
------
"But even granted trains, I fear that Omelas so far strikes some of

Ursula Le Guin
The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

https://utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf