[Themaintainers] Giving Up Apple in the Name of Repair and the Environment

lee vinsel lee at themaintainers.org
Wed Feb 26 11:53:56 EST 2020

Hi, everybody.

Last summer I wrote an article on the Right to Repair movement, "Fighting
for the Right to Repair Our Stuff
<https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/fighting-for-the-right-to-repair-our-stuff/>,"
for The American Conservative magazine. As I did research for that piece,
Apple kept coming up as a particularly bad actor. I realized after
the piece came out that I could no longer buy Apple products in good
conscience. I wrote about how I came to that conclusion in a new post.
Happy to hear thoughts and feedback, if you have any.

https://medium.com/@sts_news/giving-up-apple-in-the-name-of-repair-and-the-environment-dbd53bc2fa26

I should probably make clear that I am one of the co-directors of The
Maintainers, but the content of my post is not an official position of The
Maintainers. I imagine we will be taking positions on issues in the future
(on general policy issues, like Right to Repair, rather than individual
companies), but we don't have a process for that yet.

Hope y'all are doing well.

Lee

--
Co-Director