[Themaintainers] The historical (and ethical) context of the Open Source movement

Yvonne Lam yvonne.z.lam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 23:34:06 EST 2020

Probably not directly useful, but might be helpful as deep background:

* Evan Czaplicki on the hard parts of open source:
https://twitter.com/czaplic/status/1050406384628584455
* He pulled his citations into a separate gist:
https://gist.github.com/evancz/b29d1ce4166a557d03474278b2b44514
(Fred Turner's book, which I think someone else already recommended, is
great.)
* I have found Charles Mills on ideal theory a useful way to look at
various attempts at an ethics of open source:
http://www.nsdupdate.com/assets/2017/02/Ideal-theory-as-ideology.pdf
* Tara McPherson's "Unix Operating Systems at Midcentury" (paywalled) and
"Why are the digital humanities so white?" (
https://dhdebates.gc.cuny.edu/read/untitled-88c11800-9446-469b-a3be-3fdb36bfbd1e/section/20df8acd-9ab9-4f35-8a5d-e91aa5f4a0ea
)

Yvonne