[Themaintainers] Panel on Care for the Future

Stephanie Beth Jordan stephaniebeth at protonmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:31:37 EDT 2020

Dear Camille and all,

Thank you for this! I am so thankful to the organizers of the Allied Media Conference.

I second the recommendation to watch this session with [Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha](http://brownstargirl.org/), [Loira Limbal](https://www.throughthenightfilm.com/), [Veralucia Mendoza](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSmjxqRh0b8) and [Dani McClain](https://danimcclain.com/). Particularly toward the end, the panelists spend time detailing intergenerational caregiving, the honor and horror of care and the difference in presumed responsibilities for care across cultures, and the realities in which often caregivers are occupying multiple caregiving roles at once (e.g for parents while also being parents). They speculate about the role of a "disability doula". A very profound and productive session!

I want to take this opportunity to call attention to the entire [Allied Media Project](https://alliedmedia.org/)(with a store full of incredible works [here](https://store.alliedmedia.org/) including the Our Data Bodies Digital Defense Playbook and the Design Justice zine). The conference itself is led by a number of incredible activists and thinkers. One of which is adrienne maree brown who authored [Emergent Strategy](https://www.akpress.org/emergentstrategy.html), a text many of us reference in our work and daily lives and is very productive to think with particularly in these times.

I want to also call attention to [a new film by Joy Buolamwini called "Coded Bias"](https://www.codedbias.com/) that was partially screened during this conference (on a panel led by [Sasha Constanza-Chock](http://schock.cc/)) which very provocatively asks the questions: What happens when AI fails? And, what happens when AI is successful? The clarity in both answers (particularly in circumstances of predictive policing) are disturbingly problematic and raises a call to action.

The closing ceremony also included an incantation by Leah Penniman, the author of [Farming While Black](https://www.farmingwhileblack.org/), a resource others in here may be interested in.

Enjoy! :)

Warmly,
Steph