[Themaintainers] From Managerial Feudalism to the Revolt of the Caring Classes

Ishi Crew mediaentropy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 10:21:56 EDT 2020

Note: This sortuh long and semi-in/coherent comment (or 'rant') was written
but not sent before the newest comments on the maintainers list
appeared---which sort of cover the same  territory   as my comment.  I'm
sending it anyway.

Part of the reason this is partly a 'rant' is because there is a fair
amount of stress in this area, though much less than in COVID hotspots like
NYC or warzones like Syria and Afghanistan--this area just has 'some'
COVUID cases and usual urban city crime.   One reason I bring this up is
because i get alot of my information from the media, and I view in a sense
the media as part of 'maintainers'----  the people who tell us the '(good)
news' are  like educators, they maintain or regulate  the flow and
dissemination of information in this world, and besides the ones we hear on
the air there is a huge workforce who range from electricians, to
cleaning,  security and  finance people  and more who keep a radio station
together.

The quality of the news I get from  NPR, community  radio (WPFW-FM), and
private radio (Russia today or Sputnik, christian/catholic/and pro-Trump '
right wing' radio, black talk radio, sports radio etc . ) is so mixed that
to an extent I wouldn't shed a tear if it just dissapeared ---same with the
supermarket---half the stuff on the shelves of local stores is junk food,
expensive wine, expensive beer, cigarettes, etc.  . This world is like
walking through an area seeded with landmines.   I'm supposed to sympathize
and empathize with the people who are both planting the landmines or taking
them out or treating the victims of people who stupidly stepped on them.
    People for example due to storms are busy maintaining the towers that
send the radio signal. Is providing  'fake news' and conspiracy theory an
essential service (whether you are are fixing the radio tower or talking on
the radio) or an inessential disservice?

    The same  radio towers in my area often serve stations which have very
different accounts of 'the news'.
     And behind that there is the buerocracy of the FCC.

'this is what democracy looks like'.  (I've contacted some academics who
study these issues mostly via email and they invariably say 'i'm busy
writing a book or article '.  Probably an essential book which will be
buried behind a paywall or in a library .

While i dont know how long this on-line discussion thread can be maintained
or continued its on one of my main interests.  How do you define
'essential' ?  (Some say its 'needs' as opposed to 'wants'---eg old slogan
was 'i need my MTV'.)

------------------

In my area 'essential' people    are at first order basically police, Fire
Dept, healthcare workers, supermarkets, gas stations ,
infrastructure---electricity,  water, building maintenance for extreme
events  like trees falling on roofs, broken water lines, etc.

 Ones i sort of  forget about are jails and prison employees, and trying to
figure out how many of other people involved (layers, judges, etc.) are
essential is unknown.

      (I could see some efficiency of just taking people directly to jail
rather than spending alot of time in trials arguing about due process. If
all crimes or arrests (say for littering or jaywalking all the way the
through  homicide) received the death penalty this would cut down on some
maintenance needs. I hear in the Phillipines they execute suspected drug
dealers on the spot.) .

----------------

At second order are some government employees , media---which includes the
internet (because almost everything is now involved with WWW) ,  people who
deal with homeless people (ie emergency services for food and housing),
and education (though that be a first order need)-----its mostly online
now.

   (Two local TV stations  now have ' elementary school  TV' programs
---monday-friday mornings-- grades 1 to 5.  each grade gets a day.   TYey
figure small kids do not want to sit in front of a computer or may not have
one, but they will sit in front of a TV.)

  However there are some academics such as Bryan Caplan of GMU and A Hacker
(maybe was at Queens college  NYC ) who say most public education should be
abolished---especially higher education and math. They say nobody or few
people need or use it.
   (To an extent one can get free online education from places like MIT,
Coursera, or SFI https://www.complexityexplorer.org   )

-----------------------

At 3rd order are things like the 'hospitality industry'---restaurants,
music clubs,   galleries and museums.....

There are about 5 beauty salons or barberships within a 15 minute walk of
here----these have been deemed non essential.

Supposedly laundromats have been deemed inessential and closed but the one
nearby is open.  Either they changed the rules or they are flaunting the
rules and the police are looking the other way---because that laundromat is
a 'community resource'  so its almost essential.  (I personally wash my
clothes in my bathtub. I'm too lazy to carry this down to the laundry room
or up the street, and don't want to deal with all these quarters. My rent
covers hot water so i do it that way.  )

There is a debate about whether gun stores are essential (there are 1 or 2
within a mile from here but in a different political jurisdication).
(Gun stores are basically impossible to open in this jurisdiction, but guns
are available since 'straw man buyers' buy guns in those stores or
elsewhere and  sell them on the street.
    Also one of the nearby gun stores was robbed not long ago at night.  We
have interesting robberies in this area--- at night people just run a
pickup truck right through the window or wall of a 7-11 or conveniance
store and load up the ATM.  Some local teenagers also tried to take a
'money truck' (used to be Brinks trunk but its a different company now) at
the local CVS a few years ago---that ended with one dead, and 3 shot.
 That money truck driver  wasn't going to give up the money to 3 teens who
lived in the apartment building across from the CVS.)

----------------

  (Some of these incidents are caught on video camera;  they also caught on
videocam incidents at 2 of these local stores which ended with homicides of
people who were employees or informal (under the table) employees  of these
stores who i had seen when i went to them-just the regular store
clerk/owner and the homeless guy guy who kept the parking lot clean.  These
are not pleasant videos to watch---police posted them to see if they could
id the people involved. )   I dont think they could.

-------------------

Are people involved in political campaigns  'essential'?  With WWW people
could avoid alot of plane or car travel and just hear speeches on line, and
people wouldnt have to travel to 50 states to give same speech over and
over. Of course, people like the spiritual pilgrimage of going to say the
DNC or RNC   as a delegate, voter, or protestor--gives them something to
do, and provides jobs for the hospitality, travel industry, and fossil fuel
industries.   Not to mention all the people producing political
advertizements  for  TV, or doing fundraising .

(I get about 2-5 email requests for donations from Bernie Sanders everday
so he can buy TV ads, or now, donate to groups dealing with COVID-19

 These charities range from people in homeless shelters,    to 'hospitality
workers' who were layed off from their jobs and can barely make their
5000$/monthly rent . They work as 'wine tasters' and 'fashion models' or
'reality TV stars' or sell books discussing their horrific experiences as
part of the 'me2' movement.
   (Its far  worse making 100's of thousands of $ /yr doing a tv show or
wine tasting when being 'harassed' than it is working up 'on the avenue' in
the 'in'/hospitality industry' for maybe 15$ a day ---'just  enough to get
by' (15$ is the going rate for what  people use around here for
'self-medication' rather than going to hospital)  if you are 'livin for the
city' (famous song by Stevie Wonder) --unless you aren't--and are found
dead in a ditch.

Academic sociologists can   probably write books on what is essential
maintenance work.  They might be part of the 'great and inessential books
curriculum' (like one Mortimer Adler had at U Chicago, and there's a
similar one at a college around Annapolis,  Maryland.  ).