[Themaintainers] Questions about academia

Emma Potter emmaclairepotter at gmail.com
Fri May 22 19:35:32 EDT 2020

Hi there,

I recently signed up for this list and it's often lifted my spirits to see
so many amazing research projects happening and to have access to online
talks during this time.

I'm someone who is interested in academia but have long feared precarious
research and teaching positions, debt and the indentured nature of graduate
student life, etc.. However, seeing some of the work being done by
Maintainers (the work at U Amsterdam on the gig economy and U Maine on the
circular economy, in particular, are exciting) has give me some new hope.
At the risk of sounding (or, rather, revealing myself to be) amateur, is
there anyway a message could be sent to the group about what contemporary
areas of academics are fruitful for future research and study?

Or is the number of already-established tenure faculty/principal
investigators on this list misleading me into thinking there's more hope
out there in academia than there really is?

All best,
Emma