[Themaintainers] Bloomberg on COBOL

deddy deddy at davideddy.com
Sat Nov 28 09:04:52 EST 2020

re: "ancient COBOL"

> This article in Bloomberg blames COBOL for slowing down the financial stimulus
> distribution across the country.

Ahhhh... yet another know-nothing hit piece written by a lazy reporter & clueless editor.

COBOL is an excellent language for its purpose... which is primarily very mundane shuffling data around
in different reporting formats inside (heavily clerical) organizations that are firmly rooted in old, obsolete
fiefdom-driven practices.

Name me one thing in you life that you've been using for 50+ years that continues to evolve with your
needs.

That old systems are difficult to "modernize" is a management responsibility, not programmers.

Programmers do not set objectives, allocate budgets and manage constantly shifting business needs.
That's what management is supposed to do... and management has clearly abdicated their
responsibilities.

That organizations see systems spend as expense rather than creation & maintenance of a constantly
evolving valuable resourse, is management's responsibility, not programmers.

A favorite observation (in spirit of old Army wisdom: "If the Army thought you needed a wife, they'd
issue you one.")... to the best of my knowledge systems are not a embedded component across all the
academic silos in the MBA process.

Systems?  "My IT guy is doing that... I'm a business guy."

Peter Drucker's wisdom: ~"To treat accounting/finance & systems as two separate, unrelated academic
& career tracks is unacceptable."