[Themaintainers] Themaintainers Digest, Vol 56, Issue 1 right to repair

Jessica Mink jmink at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 20 11:41:33 EDT 2020

I live in Massachusetts and am about to vote YES on question 1. As a
developer who writes only open source software, I strongly believe that
the more eyes on the code, the safer it is likely to be. I think the
dealers are playing a longer game than we see up front. With the
electrification of the automobile fleet as they saw with the ill-fated
EV-1, there will be less need for repairs as the number of mechanical
parts in a vehicle is drastically reduced. Dealers make a lot of money
from repairs, and want to keep as much of that business that they
possibly can, so they want to exclusively own the data coming from each
vehicle so that they have the exclusive right to make money from
maintaining those cars, and most of what will be moving in the cars'
systems will be bits and electrons.

-Jessica Mink