[Themaintainers] repair work and health

Amy Moran-Thomas amorant at mit.edu
Thu Oct 22 12:20:40 EDT 2020

Hello all,

For anyone interested in the health and medical dimen​sions of maintenance work, I wanted to share this virtual talk and discussion upcoming tomorrow, which engages with the work of many on this list — open to the public, all are welcome!

Warmly,

Amy

REPAIR WORK: What Diabetic Limb Salvage Reveals about an Overlooked Epidemic <https://indd.adobe.com/view/1fd5320e-9787-4e8c-99be-54b1bc13bdc2>

As chronic conditions like diabetes rise globally, technologies and bodies often break down together.  This talk follows the stories of people “trying to maintain” in a Caribbean health system where diabetes has become the leading cause of death nationwide—leading to increasingly reliance on health infrastructures to sustain life and prevent serious complications such as limb loss and blindness. Alongside the important attention sparked by the work of STS scholars such as Steven Jackson around “repair work” and maintenance practices, citizen advocacy in the diabetes context also recalls the earlier use of “repair work” by Toni Morrison, when she described attempts to heal against the injuries of plantation landscapes and racial inequities.  This ethnography follows the work of health advocates bringing together what have often been two distinct conversations about “repair work” — the repair of infrastructures, and questions historical repair.  What might be learned by placing these key conversations in closer dialogue?

(Registration here<https://princeton.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_t4lwRn8NSQWUsZ2PSnbpQQ>.)​

Amy Moran-Thomas
Hayes Associate Professor
MIT Anthropology