[Themaintainers] Introducing The Maintainers Project Coordinator - Lauren Dapena Fraiz

lee vinsel lee at themaintainers.org
Thu Oct 29 12:01:20 EDT 2020

Dear Maintainers,

What a wild moment to be alive. Daily, I'm reminded of the proverb (which
is NOT Chinese), "May you live in interesting times." There's a lot of
darkness these days, but also light. In the chaos of our present, The
Maintainers co-directors Andy, Jess, and I forgot to mark an event of real
joy for us.

Through our most recent grant from the Sloan Foundation, for a project
titled "Building the Movement for Maintenance Thinking and Action: A
Community-Based Approach," we were able to hire a new project coordinator,
Lauren Dapena Fraiz. Lauren rules! She's gotten off to a terrific start.
She brings a great deal of experience and expertise in project management,
and she's really been helping keep Maintainers Central on task. I paste a
bio for her below, and you can also find her on our somewhat updated About
Us page <https://themaintainers.org/about-us>.

Please join us in welcoming Lauren to The Maintainers community. You'll be
hearing from her down the road as she will be helping us and all of you get
some new initiatives off the ground.

As always, please let us know if you have any questions, ideas, proposals,
concerns, etc.

Hope all of you are doing well,

Lee

Lauren Dapena Fraiz is the Project Coordinator for The Maintainers, a
“global research network interested in the concepts of maintenance,
infrastructure, repair, and the myriad forms of labor and expertise that
sustain our human-built world”. Throughout her career, she has worked in
multiple academic research institutions, including Columbia University
Medical Center and the CUNY School of Public Health. She co-founded Las
Marías, a Spanish-English grassroots project on gender justice for youth.
Additionally, she has worked in non-profit development and program
coordination, including The Lower Eastside Girls Club and other New York
City community-based-organizations. Her areas of expertise include
intersectional feminist education, interdisciplinary research, and social
justice advocacy. She grew up in northern Spain and received her graduate
degree in Psychology from the Complutense University of Madrid.

Lauren is very excited to join The Maintainers and support them in their
movement building! She especially is interested in working with maintenance
communities, studying the intersection of maintenance and social care, and
the development of the team’s research agenda.

--
Co-Director
The Maintainers