[Themaintainers] [Paper] Urban maintenance and graffiti removal

Luiza Wainer lu.wainer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:45:26 EDT 2020

Whenever I think of graffiti removal my mind immediately goes to this
series by UK-based street artist Mobstr: https://www.mobstr.org/red

Here in São Paulo we distinguish between *pixo (*or *pixação
<https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/jan/06/pixacao-the-story-behind-sao-paulos-angry-alternative-to-graffiti>)*
and *graffiti*, which in very broad terms could be seen as a distinction
between graffiti that degradates or beautifies the public sphere. A 2017
poll from Datafolha
<http://datafolha.folha.uol.com.br/opiniaopublica/2017/02/1858287-maioria-condena-remocao-de-grafites-da-avenida-23-de-maio.shtml>
showed that 97% of paulistanos are against pixação while 85% of them are in
favor of graffiti.

I bring this up because for São Paulo residents, maintenance would be
removing pixo while preserving graffiti. Of course, that's never the case.
Former mayor (now governor) João Doria had a "anti-everything" policy,
which has been carried over to a lesser extent to by current mayor Bruno
Covas (Covas was Doria's vice-mayor, and took over in 2018 after Doria
resigned to run for governor). This, of course, has caused a lot of issues
with both the graffiti and the pixo communities, most notably after
Doria painted
over
<https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/feb/23/sao-paulo-street-art-paint-over-joao-doria-brazil-graffiti>
the 15.000m2 stretch of murals by over 200 street artists at Av. 23 de Maio
(formerly considered to be the largest continuous corridor of graffiti in
Latin America, and, ironically, created in partnership with the city in the
previous mandate), creating what at the time was named the "spray wars".

xx
Luiza