[Themaintainers] Biden Infrastructure bill

jcplantin jc.plantin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 09:54:54 EDT 2021

Hi Andy and all,

thanks for sharing. The latest episode the NYT Daily offers a good review
of the Biden plan (infrastructure jokes included):

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/podcasts/the-daily/the-biden-infrastructure-package.html

Curious to see how this plan will resonate among our community of
maintenance/infrastructure researchers and practitioners,

Jean-Christophe

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 2:20 PM Andrew Russell <andy at themaintainers.org>
wrote:

> Hi Maintainers!
>
> I keep thinking of people on this list as I read about the “American Jobs
> Plan,” aka the Biden infrastructure bill.  The bill and debates around it
> are reviving many of the 'greatest hits’ of infrastructure studies and
> policy, including favorites such as: what counts as infrastructure? who
> pays for it, when, and how? what values and agendas are being advanced, and
> what fears or aspirations does the bill speak to?
>
> See for example:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/business/economy/biden-infrastructure-plan.html
>
> I was happy to see the NYT highlight this element - "Officials cast the
> $400 billion spending on in-home care in part as a salve to “underpaid and
> undervalued” workers in that industry, who are disproportionately women of
> color.”  I’ve been following (and rooting for!) the advocacy campaigns of
> groups such as Caring Across Generations <https://caringacross.org/> that,
> it seems, have made major advances in moving the political discourse to be
> closer to what academics and researchers see as vital aspects of societal
> infrastructure.
>
> (Of course, there are a variety of perspectives shaping political postures
> in Washington - see for example
> https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-spending-plan-billed-as-infrastructure-bill-spends-non-infrastructure,
> "The White House is casting a very wide net about what constitutes
> infrastructure — for example, the American Jobs Plan references "care
> infrastructure" when talking about $25 billion to upgrade child care
> facilities and a $400 billion expenditure on care for the elderly and
> disabled. That's quite different from repairing potholes and rebuilding
> bridges.”)
>
> And so on - fun times for us infrastructure nerds :)
>
> Andy
>

> _____
>
> Andrew L. Russell, Ph.D.
> + Dean, College of Arts & Sciences, SUNY Polytechnic Institute
> + Co-Director, The Maintainers <https://themaintainers.org/>
> + Co-Author, The Innovation Delusion: How Our Obsession with the New Has
> Disrupted the Work That Matters Most
> <https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/576816/the-innovation-delusion-by-lee-vinsel-and-andrew-l-russell/>

Jean-Christophe Plantin
+44 (0)7445 095352