[Themaintainers] Maintenance engineering coursework?

Rollie Cole rolliecole at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:01:17 EDT 2021

I have several relatives who were accountants, one even a professor of
accounting. I am all in favor of getting everybody to understand some
accounting concepts.

But the example below I find problematical. A $1M road with a 20-year life
SHOULD not require zero maintenance for 20 years, then a sudden $1M (plus
whatever inflation has done) to replace. Instead, IF it is maintained, it
should last not 20 years, but decades beyond that. In the process, the road
"owner" might well spend roughly $1M each 20 years, but it should be spread
over maintenance all during each 20-year period.

I do agree, however, that many, many (far too many!) cities defer
maintenance year after year until replacement is the only option.
Accounting is a way to track how bad a practice that is, but does not
itself cure the bad practice. It is perhaps necessary, but never sufficient.

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 5:59 AM David Albrecht <albrecht.dr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rental property operator and software engineer here.
>
> I don't think a course like this is complete without some discussion of
> accounting. At the risk of stating the obvious, accounting is the
> accumulated body of knowledge on how to quantify economic activity.
> Probably half if not more maintenance problems are ultimately rooted in
> poor accounting, specifically focusing too much on cashflow and not enough
> on the balance sheet.
>
> Simple but obvious example to illustrate the point. A municipality spends
> $1 million on a new road with an estimated lifetime of 20 years. Next year,
> they collect $500k in tax revenue and spend $475k. Yay, a surplus! Cut
> taxes! Except the simple math of $1 million/20 years for our road shows you
> need to be tracking the $50k annual wear and tear...somewhere. Most
> organizations -- many municipalities and unsophisticated rental property
> operators -- don't do this well, and are caught short when a major capital
> item hits end-of-life, causing them to scramble to get a loan and fall
> farther and farther into debt they have no way to service.
>
> I think the solution is to emphasize a culture of continuous, incremental
> capital replacement in an organization. I haven't seen too many
> organizations (especially in the public sector) with the discipline to
> accumulate huge piles of cash for lumpy capital spending, without
> shenanigans taking place that cause the money to get redirected for other
> short-term uses. I'd love to know if I'm wrong about this.
>
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 5:02 PM Melinda Hodkiewicz <
> melinda.hodkiewicz at uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> I am a maintenance engineer and for many years have taught university and
>> executive education courses on maintenance, asset management, reliability,
>> risk and safety. I was Australia’s representative on the development of the
>> ISO55000/1/2 set of Asset Management Standards. Maintenance is one of the
>> major elements of asset management. A good reference to all things AM is
>> the GFMAM sute (Global Forum on Maintenance and Asset Management)
>> https://gfmam.org/global-collaboration. Their publications page is a
>> useful source of teaching materials.
>> Can I suggest, all found (for free) on this page.
>>
>> ·       The AM Landscape,
>>
>> ·       The Maintenance Framework, and
>>
>> ·       The Value of Asset Management.
>>
>> The Maintenance Framework book will be particularly helpful for
>> engineers-in-training as it covers the maintenance management process
>> (identify work (maintenance strategy)-schedule-planning-execution) that
>> they are most likely to be exposed to when they graduate if they work for
>> an asset operating organisation.
>>

>> About 7 years ago I was asked to develop a one semester class for final
>> year engineers of all disciplines (process, mech, civil, elec, software,
>> chemical, mining) on risk, reliability and safety. Maintenance is covered
> [...]

Rollie Cole
Author of WHOLESALE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
http://preview.tinyurl.com/wholesaleeconomics
5902 Westslope Drive
Austin TX 78731-3655
512-537-0898