[Themaintainers] Joe Biden as Mr. Fix It

Casey Boardman casey.boardman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 15:06:09 EDT 2021

One thing that I haven't seen (yet) is the cost of *not* doing these
projects.   Occasionally the idea of "this will pay for itself in X years"
pops up, or sometimes the idea of infrastructure improvements with respect
to climate change lessening future emergency costs comes into play.   But
it is vanishingly rare to see an honest comparison of "Project X will cost
$Y dollars over 10/20/50 years, vs the status quo, which will cost $Z
dollars over the same period".   I would like to see more of that.  Keeping
things as they are is not free.  I also have the feeling that a lot of this
infrastructure is playing catch-up on either maintenance or improvements
that should have been done years ago (ex. widespread broadband internet,
lead water pipes, bridges).

I am less concerned about long term inflation - not that it isn't serious,
but it is a lesser / more manageable problem than some of the issues that
the bill attempts to address (ex. resilience to climate change).

Also curious what others think.
-Casey