[Themaintainers] tax credits for maintenance?

Varun Adibhatla (ARGO) varun at argolabs.org
Mon Apr 26 15:36:28 EDT 2021

Hi Luis,

I'm so glad someone out there asked this question! YES!

In 2014, the IRS introduced a *"routine maintenance safe harbor!"* for
owners of real estate and other assets to allow them to deduct expenses
from routine maintenance!
*(I do not know and would love to know the origins of the IRS Repair
Regulations
<https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations>!)*

What is your friend working to push!?
I'm trying to make a case for state legislatures to create liability
shields for organizations from tort litigation on the condition that they
follow a specific regime of routine maintenance.
These legal nudges if available would incentivize organizations to perform
routine maintenance.

I've been corresponding with a legal scholar, Dr. Alex Sarch at the
University of Oxford and author of the book titled "Criminally Ignorant"
<https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3598026>

Varun

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 2:07 PM Luis Villa <luis at lu.is> wrote:

> Hey, all-
> Are there any US federal (or state) tax credits for maintenance that
> you're aware of (bonus if you think they're actually... good?)
>
> Asking for a DC friend who is trying to push one, but sort of starting
> from scratch. I'm wondering if there are models they could base their work
> on (or pitfalls they could avoid).
>
> Thanks-
> Luis

Thank You,