[Themaintainers] [EXTERNAL] Add crime and stir?

Sims, Benjamin Hayden bsims at lanl.gov
Tue May 4 10:36:15 EDT 2021

Diana,

Do you know Antina von Schnitzler’s book Democracy’s Infrastructure (https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691170770/democracys-infrastructure)? It’s about the use of pre-paid utility meters in South Africa as a means of preventing non-payment for water and electricity, which was used as a protest tactic under apartheid. Maintenance is not a main focus, but lots of repair and maintenance issues come up throughout the book. It doesn’t exactly address the issues you mention below, but on a somewhat larger scale it does talk about how the state uses infrastructure technology to police citizens’ behavior.

Ben

--
Benjamin Sims
Sociologist