[Choir] Wednesday & TORCH

Bethany Reeves Bethany.Reeves at stevens.edu
Mon Oct 18 17:00:49 EDT 2010

Dear Choir,

I rarely use, or allow the Choir list to be used, for non-musical
events or issues. However, things have been happening in our country
recently which demand a response.

I hope you will all join Dave Z. & I, and many of your classmates, in
wearing purple on Wedesday in support of TORCH's efforts to end
homophobia and the horrific effects it has on so many people.

Details for the TORCH events can be seen on Student Life Newsletter SLN
(in your email)…and the website for Trevor Project is
www.thetrevorproject.org.

For more information, I'm including an email below forwarded to me by
Dave; it went to the eBaun staff.

Sincerely,
BR

Dear DeBaun Staffers,

As some of you may or may not know, TORCH, Stevens’ LGBTQ Society, is
holding two fundraisers for The Trevor Project this coming Wednesday,
along with selling purple shirts and giving our pledge pins for not
using the word “fag”. With all the recent suicides, there is a national
movement to wear purple on Wednesday, October 20th to show support for
those who died and to help stamp out homophobia. You can find many
things on Facebook about it, including:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=142899405754458&index=1

TORCH decided to raise money for The Trevor Project because of their
mission:

The Trevor Project is determined to end suicide among LGBTQ youth by
providing life-saving and life-affirming resources including our
nationwide, 24/7 crisis intervention lifeline, digital community and
advocacy/educational programs that create a safe, supportive and
positive environment for everyone.

What can you do, and why am I emailing you?

First, WEAR PURPLE on Wednesday. Show your support.

(Second - was specific to DeBaun staffers).

-Dave

Bethany Reeves
Artist in Residence for Voice & Choir
Lecturer in Music, College of Arts &