[Choir] To new Choir members (mostly), re music-reading

breeves breeves at stevens.edu
Mon Sep 10 11:14:22 EDT 2012

Dear Choir!

This is for those of you who could use an introduction to (or a good
review of) the basic principles of music notation and how to read it.

Reading music isn't rocket science, I promise. It's just a matter of
understanding how the graph we call a "staff" is set up (it's basically
a graph, complete with X and Y axes), how relative durations (rhythms)
are notated, and a few other things. After that, it's really all about
USING the notation - about practice.

Really, anyone smart enough to be admitted to Stevens is plenty smart
enough to acquire music-reading skill. Getting the basics down won't
make you an instantaneously fabulous sight-reader, but you WILL have
more fun and comprehension of what we're doing. :-)

I'd like to offer a couple sessions right after Choir, first on this
coming Thursday, and then next Monday. We won't go past 10 pm. After
next Monday, we'll see where we are. Please attend if you can.

Best,
Dr. Reeves