[Choir] Poetry for concert - readers needed

breeves breeves at stevens.edu
Sun Nov 9 19:51:51 EST 2014

Dear Choir,

I frequently add poetry or other readings to the Choir concerts, and
spend a little time coaching readers in the couple weeks prior to
performance. We do use mics. No experience necessary.

It's possible not every poem listed below will stay on the program, but
probable that most will. If you are interested in reading, please let me
know ASAP. Thank you!

Best,
BR

To accompany “If ye love me”

W. H. Auden (1907-1973)
            O look, look in the mirror,
              O look in your distress;
            Life remains a blessing
              Although you cannot bless.
            O stand, stand at the window
              As the tears scald and start;
            You must love your crooked neighbour
              With your crooked heart.[13]

To cover choir leaving stage and accompany “Linden Lea” (vocal solo) -
one or both of the following:

On a Lane in Spring

A little lane - the brook runs close beside,
And spangles in the sunshine, while the fish glide swiftly by;
And hedges leafing with the green springtide;
 From out their greenery the old birds fly,
And chirp and whistle in the morning sun;
The pilewort glitters 'neath the pale blue sky,
The little robin has its nest begun
The grass-green linnets round the bushes fly.
How mild the spring comes in! the daisy buds
Lift up their golden blossoms to the sky.
How lovely are the pingles in the woods!
Here a beetle runs - and there a fly
Rests on the arum leaf in bottle-green,
And all the spring in this sweet lane is seen.

JOHN CLARE (1793-1864)
____
The Quiet Life

Happy the man whose wish and care
A few paternal acres bound,
Content to breath his native air
In his own ground.
Whose herds with milk, whose fields with bread,
Whose flocks supply him with attire,
Whose trees in summer yield him shade,
In winter fire.
Blest who can unconcern'dly find
Hours, days and years slide soft away,
In health of body, peace of mind,
Quiet by day,
Sound sleep by night; study and ease,
Together mixt; sweet recreation;
And innocence, which most does please
With meditation.
Thus let me live, unseen, unknown,
Thus unlamented let me die,
Steal from the world, and not a stone
Tell where I lie.

ALEXANDER POPE (1688-1744)

____________

To accompany “Turtle Dove” -

O my Luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June:
O my Luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve!
And fare-thee-weel, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

- By Robert Burns (the spellings here reflect Scottish pronunciation)

Note: I'm not sure if Burns borrowed from the folk song, or the folk
song borrowed from Burns...

______________________

To accompany “Song for Athene” -

Holy Sonnets: Death, be not proud
By John Donne

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
 From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.

__________________
To accompany “Fair Phyllis”

The Passionate Shepherd to His Love (3 of 6 stanzas) – by Christopher
Marlowe

Come live with me and be my love,
And we will all the pleasures prove
That valleys, groves, hills, and fields,
Woods, or steepy mountain yields.

And we will sit upon the rocks,
Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks,
By shallow rivers to whose falls
Melodious birds sing madrigals.

(three stanzas omitted - )

The shepherds' swains shall dance and sing
For thy delight each May morning:
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me and be my love.

Artist in Residence for Choir and Voice