[Choir] Chichester Pslams solos; Cantata speakers

Bethany Reeves breeves at stevens.edu
Tue Oct 18 00:39:51 EDT 2016

Dear All,

This is for those of you interested in the Chichester Psalms solos and/or the speaking parts in the Cantata for 9/11.

CHICHESTER PSALMS

Auditions will be held in the Music Room at the following times:

Monday 10/31, 5:45-6:30 pm & 9:00-9:30 pm

Tuesday 11/1, 5:30-7:00 pm

(Back-up: Friday 11/4, 4:30-5:30pm)

Please alert me (NOT the entire Choir list!) if you are interested, and tell me what date/time you plan to audition.

The Psalms need:

A primary soloist for the boy soprano solo in Movement II. I am open to anyone who can sing it well in treble register - men with a fine falsetto (countertenor range) as well as women.

A soprano, alto, tenor and bass soloist for two short solo passages in Movements I & III  (you can shoot for both passages, or just one). These are brief, but require some real musicianship and vocal capability. Again, I am open to anyone who can sing the notes well - don't assume that the "bass" solo in III cannot be sung, for instance, by someone in the T2 section. Look at the music before counting yourself out.

Requirements: the musical & vocal ability to prepare these on your own (YouTube is your friend!), and enough command of performance jitters to handle an open audition. This is actually especially important for the small group solos - those pose more challenges in some ways than the bigger solo in Mvmt II.

?The CANTATA FOR 9/11 needs five readers:

1. A young woman to read the three "Witness" sections. This is the direct experience of a friend of the composer who was working in the Wall Street area on 9/11. She was 23 at the time.

2. A man to read an excerpt from a speech by Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

3. A man or woman to read an excerpt of a poem by Longfellow.

4 & 5. At least one man and one woman to read 56 names of the fallen.

Please note that one person has already been "cast" for either the Roosevelt or the Longfellow. Which one is TBA, depending on other readers.

Please alert me if you are interested in reading (but DON'T reply to the whole list!), so I can provide you with score that includes the texts.

I will hold auditions for readers, or not, depending on responses within the next several days.