[Choir] SOLO AUDITIONS for CHOIR

Bethany Reeves breeves at stevens.edu
Mon Sep 23 10:11:35 EDT 2019

Dear All!

This is for those of you interested in solo auditions.

Here are the dates and specifications:

AUDITION DATES:
Monday October 7, 6:00-6:30pm and 9:00-9:45pm
Thursday October 10, 6:00-6:30pm
Where: In the larger space of the Music Room

Please alert me if none of these are possible for you.

NOTE: Voice parts are given for general reference. If you can sing the notes of a given solo well you are eligible to audition for it, regardless of the part you sing in the choir.

AUDITIONS ARE FOR:

1.Baritone, Bass and/or Tenor: opening solos marked in "Do You Hear the People Sing" from Les Miserables. Style: legit Broadway ("legit" means an essentially classical sound)

2. Tenor recitative, "All they that see him," coming immediately before "He Trusted in God" from MESSIAH. Style: classical

3. Tenor or Soprano, as noted in the score of "MLK." Style: open. That is, it could work in several directions. This is one where I have to say "I'll know it when I hear it."

4. Three women who can sing well in a Broadway pop style for "The Schuyler Sisters" from Hamilton.

  *   We are doing the full piece from the musical, not the segment included in the medley you all have. All choir members will shortly receive the music, so you can check vocal ranges there.
  *   Special requirements: these three must be able to sing securely in 3-part harmony, on their own, and should have some acting chops. The roles are Angelica, Eliza, and their younger sister Peggy.

5. There will be one additional song up for audition: "Mama, Look Sharp" from 1776.

  *   This will use at least one light tenor/high baritone, and at least one rich mezzo-soprano (the woman's voice in particular must lean classical - this is not a pop or belt Broadway sound).
  *   I may go with two of both - that's yet to be decided. The man's part is a boy dying on a battlefield; the woman's part is his mother.
  *   This song does not involve the Choir.
  *   I will try to have copies available by Choir this evening for interested parties. Please check on top of the file cabinet immediately to your right as you enter the room.

Musical independence and preparation are strong considerations in assigning solos. As always, I must reserve the right to offer solos with or without auditions as I deem needful. That said, when solos are up for audition my preference is to go with singers who put in that effort.

I'm looking forward to hearing you!

Stage Director/Teacher, DeBaun Shakespeare & Summer Theatre Projects