[SDS] GBM and Auditions

Daniel Ward dward at stevens.edu
Sun Sep 5 11:16:57 EDT 2010

Hey All,

This Wednesday (9/8) will be our first *General Body Meeting* of the
semester at *9:00 p.m. *in *E230*, as usual if you can't make it please send
the E-Board an e-mail to let us know.

We will also be looking to start putting together a Stage Crew for *Noises
Off* at this meeting so think about whether this is something you would be
interested in doing.  You will be required to attend some rehearsals during
before tech week, more details will be given at the GBM.

We will also go over sign-ups for auditions for *Noises Off.* *Auditions
will be held  next Monday and Tuesday (9/13 and 14) at 9:00 p.m. in DeBaun
Auditorium* with callbacks on Thursday evening.  Auditions will work a
little differently than they have in the past; you will not need to prepare
your own monologue and it will involve auditioning in groups. Here are some
details from Gerritt about auditions:

*Noises Off* is the story of the ill-fated production of "Nothing On," a
fictitious English farce set in a country manor house.  The play is a
ludicrous comedy.  We're looking to concoct our own special brand of
precision mayhem that is lightning quick, continually surprising, and
an absolute blast to perform - and to watch.

For auditions, we'll be reading groups of four actors together.  This is a
comedy where the humor stems from the dynamics of the group, so look over
the sides we've provided but don't worry about getting everything right.  We
may ask you to read more than one part.  We may ask you to read an opposite
gender.  We may ask you to juggle plates of fish.  We're looking for actors
who can play together with reckless abandon - who listen to each other and
respond with an improvisatory spirit.  Most of all, we're looking for people
to come in an have fun.

Cast of Characters:

Dotty Otley: A seasoned actress producing "Nothing On."  A bit forgetful,
she plays the cockney housekeeper Mrs. Clackett.

Garry LeJeune: A leading man with an ego to match.  Never seems to finish a
sentence.  He plays Roger Tramplemain, a real estate agent.  Roger hopes to
seduce Vicki.

Brooke Ashton: A young actress with a short attention span.  A bit of a
space cadet.  Having a secret affair with the director.  Plays Vicki, hoping
to be seduced by Roger.  Works for Inland Revenue.

Frederick Fellowes: A slightly neurotic actor - emotionally fragile,
allergic to violence.  Plays Phillip Brent, a mediocre playwright wanted for
tax evasion.

Belinda Blair: A care-taking actress who sometimes forces her positive
attitude.  Plays Flavia Brent, Phillip's wife.

Selsden Mowbray: An ancient, alcoholic actor.   Constantly in search of a
bottle.  Seems to be deaf - but it might be an act.  Plays the burglar.

Lloyd Dallas: The director of "Nothing On."  Short-tempered and sarcastic.
Managing secret affairs with Brooke and Poppy.

Poppy Norton-Taylor: Mousy stage-manager.  Harried and overworked.  In love
with Lloyd.

Tim Allgood: Exhausted stage-manager and technician.  Eager to help out, but
in over his head.

Daniel Ward
Stevens Institute of Technology
Chemical Engineering 2011